How much does divorce mediation cost?
In almost every case, divorce mediation in California costs are a fraction of those for litigated divorce and collaborative divorce.
Many divorce mediators offer a flat-fee package that includes all mediation sessions, filing fees and document preparation. Such a package allows the divorcing parties to confirm the total cost of the divorce upfront, and it makes it easier to split those costs. These packages almost always cost much less than the tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars that litigated divorces can.
Most divorce mediators will also offer an hourly or per-session rate for couples who do not want to choose a flat-fee option. Again, this hourly rate will almost always cost significantly less than the hourly rate of a divorce lawyer.
Other Frequently Asked Questions about Mediation
- How can I know that my mediator will be neutral and unbiased?
- How do I choose a divorce mediator?
- How long will it take to finalize our divorce using mediation?
- How much does divorce mediation cost?
- If I divorce through mediation, will I need a lawyer?
- If I use divorce mediation, will I have to go to court?
- Is mediation the same as collaborative divorce?
- What are the residency requirements for the divorce of a same-sex couple in California?
- What if we begin mediation, but we find that we cannot agree on some issues?
- Will a divorce impact my ability to collect Social Security benefits on the work record of my ex?